The Benefits of working in Health
The NHS offers a fair pay structure with competitive and flexible benefits. They also offer a generous pension scheme.
The NHS pay system is delivered in ‘bands’, ranging from Band 2 to Band 9, with exceptions to doctors, dentists and very senior managers. Each pay band has a number of pay points. To find out more about the NHS pay system, see here Annual pay scales 2021/22 | NHS Employers (opens in a new window)
The NHS Pension Scheme is one of the most generous and comprehensive in the UK. Every new employee automatically becomes a member and you will get an excellent package of pension benefits, fully protected against inflation and guaranteed by the government.
To find out more about the NHS Pension scheme click here (opens in a new window) or watch this short video on the benefits of being in the NHS Pension Scheme
The NHS also has a very supportive benefits package which includes:
- A number of different flexible working options which mean to help maintain work/life balance and wellbeing.
- An enhanced holiday scheme – Working for the NHS gives you 27 days annual leave each year plus bank holidays, which increases depending on years of continuous service. In addition to this, staff are entitled to buy and sell annual leave, offering greater flexibility.
- Career development and progression. Everyone in the NHS has an annual personal development review and plan to support their career aspirations. There are also development opportunities and access to training courses, mentorship and coaching for all full and part-time staff.
- Occupational maternity and sick pay schemes which vary dependant on length of service.
- Support with Health and Wellbeing
- Unique access to a health service discounts schemes. Blue Light are the discount service for the emergency services, NHS, social care sector and armed forces, providing members with thousands of amazing discounts online and on the high street.
Learn More about the Blue Light Card (opens in a new window)
NHS Pension Scheme – Contributions https://youtu.be/mUZZ5tTMZ6A (opens in a new window)